Home |  Search |  Contact Us |  Website & Cookies Policy
News & Press Releases

 

An Cumann Scoildrámaíochta

 

President Micheál D Ó hUiginn, Muiris Mac Dháibhéid, chairman of Newry Féile (R), and Seán Mac Labhraí, chairman of Ulster Féile and member of the national committee (L).

 

Pictured along with President Micheál D Ó hUiginn, are Muiris Mac Dháibhéid, chairman of Newry Féile,
and Seán Mac Labhraí, chairman of Ulster Féile and member of the national committee.

 

An Cumann Scoildrámaíochta is currently celebrating its eightieth year of existence. Founded in 1934, the organisation promotes drama through the medium of the Irish language in primary schools, post-primary schools and youth clubs all over Ireland.

Local festivals in Ulster are held annually in Newry, Gaoth Dobhair, Monaghan, Belfast and Derry. Winners at local level are nominated to advance to the provincial finals, which alternate on a three-year basis between the Market Place Theatre, Armagh and Amharclann an Ghrianáin, Letterkenny. (The 2015 Festival will be held in Armagh on 19th-20th March). A total of forty-four provincial winners compete in the Féile Náisiúnta, hosted annually in Mullingar.

President Micheál D Ó hUiginn invited representatives from An Cumann Scoildrámaíochta to Áras an Uachtaráin on Wednesday, 8 October 2014 to acknowledge the contribution of the organisation to the Irish language and the arts. He greeted around fifty members from all over Ireland and addressed the group in his Reception Hall.

President Ó hUiginn specifically referred to the 100% voluntary contribution of An Cumann Scoildrámaíochta and quoted significant statistics regarding their range of activity in that they organise dozens of festivals involving hundreds of schools and thousands of children. All this is repeated annually without anyone receiving remuneration for their time, effort and skills. Responding to the President’s address on behalf of An Cumann Scoildrámaíochta, Seán Mac Aodha thanked him for his kind invitation, remarking that in eighty years this was the second such reception hosted at Áras an Uachtaráin, the former having been given by President Douglas Hyde in 1939.